The Stamm House was built in 1847 as a service store to the “Old Sauk Trail” which ran from Milwaukee to Minneapolis. By 1852 it was converted to a hotel and tavern and named “The Pheasant Branch Hotel”. Guests roomed upstairs and corralled their horses in the rear. Local legends say that during this time it may have been a way station for the Underground Railroad.
In 1910 the hotel closed and became a dancehall. Prohibition saw the Stamm House turn into an often raided speakeasy. After 1925 it was purchased by Heine Fuller, who likely named the building after the German word “stammtisch” which means “regulars table”. During this era, there was a thriving German-American community in the Pheasant Branch area and the Stamm House catered to their needs.
The supper-club era of the Stamm House emerged in the 1950s when the building once again changed ownership. Proprietors during this time included Les and Millie Moller, Mr. and Mrs. E.F. McSherry, Frank Pohlkamp and the Jim Sweeney Family. During this time many of the famous specials, including the Fish Fry tradition, which we proudly continue, were introduced to the Stamm House menu.
In 2013, we purchased the property and began a two year restoration, stripping it down to its original stone walls and rebuilding with modern systems. The original ceiling, which had been covered since 1934, is once again visible. The original wine cellar, is now our Chef’s Cave, and the exterior has been restored to its historic 19th century appearance. This much needed work ensures the Stamm House will continue to be a part of Middleton history.